Busy Week Ahead! (32w2d)

This week is gonna be a busy one, but I’m excited for it all!

Last week was our final “Prepared Childbirth” class. I think we both learned a lot about exactly what to expect at the hospital. I know I feel a lot more empowered about some things (like my right to refuse *any* intervention I don’t want used on the baby – like the vacuum or forceps) and more alarmed about other things (like how much of a crapshoot it will be as to whether I can prevent the hospital from giving my son a bottle of formula, or whether I’ll be able to have him and breastfeed immediately after birth.) I think Paul learned A LOT about what really goes on before, during and after labor. His comment to me after class last week (which focused on delivery and aftercare) was “There really is no way that this isn’t going to suck for you, is there?” Nice to know I have his full support and understanding. Ha!

Edited to add: The formula/BF thing is mostly a factor of whether I end up with a C-section. It’s just not possible for them to let me have the gooey baby on my chest try to BF when my lower half is still open to the world. The formula part (which honestly is what I’m most worried about) is a diabetic thing. They’ll test his blood sugar once he comes out and if they don’t like it, he’ll get a bottle. I was under the impression that maybe they’d give him a bottle of glucose water, but apparently St. Rose Hospitals doesn’t do glucose water – only formula. I’m very concerned about this because of the whole “Open Gut” thing, but there doesn’t appear to be much I can do about it. Not much I can do to control the baby’s blood sugar during the rigors of labor, but Paul and I will make sure that everyone on my delivery team knows that I want to avoid giving our son formula (or any other nipple but the ones attached to me) at ALL COSTS. We’ll just pray that I don’t end up with a C-section and hope for the best.

So tonight is our hospital tour and registration. We’ll tour the labor and delivery ward, hopefully seeing an unused room and meeting some of the nurses. (Actually, our Prepared Childbirth class was taught by 3 different nurses from our hospital, so here’s hoping that we might get one of them when the time comes!) I don’t know what the registration process entails, I’m assuming just sitting there and filling out a bunch of paperwork and letting them photocopy my entire wallet. I’m HUGELY looking forward to it though. Knowing exactly *where* to go and where I’ll be helps me visualize things better and makes it a lot easier for me to be calm about how the event will shake out – whenever it happens.

Wednesday is a big day too. I have my first weekly appointment with Dr. Schwartz for fetal monitoring. Non-Stress tests start this week – so I’ve gotta get used to longer appointments based on how cooperative the little man feels like being. Dr. Schwartz has been up front about these appointments, so while I’m concerned (as usual) about using too much paid leave to go to them – I knew they were coming, which helps in being prepared. I’m hoping we can keep these appointments down to once a week, but they might move to twice a week as I get further along. We’ll see. So that fetal monitoring appointment is as 2:30.

Then at 6:00 on Wednesday is our “Baby Basics” class, wherein we learn (refresher for me, 1st time for Paul) how to take care of our little bundle of joy. Feeding, diapering, dressing, washing… I assume this will all be covered. Honestly, I don’t know. It’s a 3 hour, one-time class. I think it will be a good place to start at least. Paul is convinced that the knowledge will just come to him when he’s presented with the baby. I’d like him to have at least a little instruction to build on. :) (Fortunately, there’s a lot of YouTube videos on how to properly apply a cloth diaper – complete with the various folds used. So that will be a help.)

In between all of these classes, there’s lots to do at home in the nursery with washing and sorting baby clothes. I need to get over to Paul’s parent’s house with the unwashed stack of diapers to borrow Jeanne’s sewing machine. I want to run a zig-zag stitch of color down the serged edges of the diapers to make the sizes easier to tell apart at a glance. And I figure this will be easier to do while they’re still very flat, before washing & drying them multiple times quilts them up nicely.

Work is busy this week too. My Executive Director is in the office this week, so that’s always exciting. But the official meeting to discuss my maternity leave duties while I’m gone will happen this week at some point. That’s a little stressful, just to have it all laid out. My boss and I have talked at length about it, and we’re both comfortable with what we’ve concluded about the work that I’ll do while I’m out. (My key duties are best continued by me so an outside person doesn’t need to be brought in, and I can not burn as much paid leave since I’ll be doing Accounts Payable and Payroll twice a month each while I’m out. Telecommuting is a beautiful thing.) I’m glad to be able to work somewhere that is as flexible as my agency is. They don’t have to be – FMLA doesn’t apply here because we’re so small. So I’m appreciative that management is willing to work with me to find an acceptable solution for both sides.

OK, lunchtime is over so I should wrap this up! I PROMISE that sorting through pictures and building a Nursery gallery is very very high on my priorities list. I’ll have it done before the end of the week, I promise – but I’ll aim for sooner than that. Your patience is appreciated. :)

4 thoughts on “Busy Week Ahead! (32w2d)

  1. Try not to focus too much on these things that you cannot control. I remember all the time we invested learning about childbirth, nursing, etc., and our long list of non-negotiable things. But then in the midst of the action you have to trust your doctor and go with the hand that is dealt. In spite of all our plans, when Jimmy finally was born I was under general anesthesia and Larry was standing in the hallway. They used forcepts and Jimmy looked like something from outer space when he was finally born. But it all worked out fine in the end. He was big and healthy and took to nursing with no problem even though he had to wait until I woke up and got out of the recovery room many hours later. So we were disappointed about what did not go as planned until we got to the part where we were holding our baby and it was really all perfect.

  2. Oh you are SO right!!! I know I am very fortunate that I have complete trust in my OB. He is aware how important breastfeeding is to me, so I know he’ll keep that in mind when things are happening quickly. Our hospital is also very pro-BFing, which helps a lot too.

    Other than my stated desire to have the baby on my chest and to BF immediately if possible, I don’t have anything resembling a ‘birth plan’ – because for someone as high-risk as me, it’s just foolish. The nurses were the ones actually encouraging us to refuse vacuum and forceps, which surprised the heck outta me. But after hearing what each of those interventions can do, I’d rather put myself through a C-section than have them used if at all possible.

    You are right though – it’s just like your wedding day. At the end of it all, if you’re Mr & Mrs Somebody, the rest is just details. If at the end of the day Baby and I are healthy and happy, the rest is just details.

  3. You might see if they’ll feed him with a cup if it’s necessary to formula feed him immediately after birth, or a dropper, both of which are recommended in lieu of giving him a non-mommy nipple. It doesn’t sound like your hospital is toooo flexible, but you might see if that’s an option instead. I don’t think it will completely ruin him if he gets formula (bottle or no bottle) but I definitely understand wanting everything in your favor. If at all possible I’m going to try to let Benjamin “breast crawl” to my boob. But, if it happens it happens…and if I end up with a c-section in a hospital then it happens… definitely good to keep the mentality of happy, healthy baby = happy mommy in the end :)

  4. Wow! You are a super busy family! This is such an exciting time for everyone – even those of us following along through your blog. I do remember when RJ was born. He was an emergency cesarean section because he kept rolling onto his umbilical cord (even after a version (OUCH) was performed, so he had to come out immediately. ANYWAY – the reason I brought this up is because he was my first cesarean section and we told the nurses how important it was for us for him to be BF. After I was all sewed up and RJ was all weighed and cleaned, the nurse actually came over and held him for me for his first meal. I was totally out of it, but at least he got some good mother’s milk right after he was born. :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *